If you’re looking for and a memorable day on the Great Barrier Reef then our great value cruise has it all! We will have you escaping for an unforgettable, un-rushed day enjoying a relaxed leisurely cruise to the Outer Great Barrier Reef.
Snorkel among beautiful corals and see the colourful tropical marine life at one of the natural wonders of the world. Relax on the huge sun deck, go on a glass-bottom boat tour (optional extra) or take the “Wild Ride” on the famous Compass Boomnet.
Scuba Diving is available as an optional extra for all levels of experience. Compass offers something for everyone and can be enjoyed by people of all ages, even those with limited swimming ability.
- Two spectacular locations
- Unlimited Snorkeling
- Free Scuba Diving demonstration
- Up to 5 hours at the reef
- Delicious Barbeque Lunch
- Snorkelling Equipment
- Boomnetting (weather permitting)
- Wine, cheese & biscuits on return
- Complimentary tea & coffee
- experienced & helpful crew
- Certified Diving
- Guided Dives
- Introductory Diving
- Glass Bottom Boat
- Bus Transfers
- Wetsuit Hire
- Prescription Mask
What to Bring
- Cash or credit card for purchases
- Sun cream
- Swimming Clothes
- Proof of certification if a certified diver
- Booking voucher
We are a family-friendly and disability-friendly tour! Please contact our friendly office upon booking if you have any special requirements or dietary requirements.
Information for all Scuba Diving activities:
- You need to allow 24 hours from your last dive before flying. Our friendly crew
- The minimum age for trying scuba diving is 12 years. The minimum age for certified scuba divers is 10 years.
- Some medical conditions and medication may prevent you from diving in Queensland.
- Please read our important information page & medical questionnaire.
- For any questions concerning a medical condition or medication, please contact our office before booking your trip to avoid disappointment on the day.
- 07:30 – Board the boat Compass, at Cairns Marina ‘Marlin Wharf Berth 18’, for check-in.
- View map to Cairns Marlin Marina
- 08:00 –Approximately depart Cairns to the Outer Great Barrier Reef. Safety talk, snorkel and dive briefings
- 10:30 – Arrive at your first Great Barrier Reef Location
- 12:30 – BBQ Lunch with fresh salads
- 13:00 – Cruise to 2nd Reef Location
- 15:30 – Depart the Great Barrier Reef
- 17:30 – Approximate Arrival time at Cairns Marina
- Up to 5 hours at two Outer Great Barrier Reef locations
- Unlimited Snorkelling. Snorkelling mask, snorkel and fins included for the adults and kids
- Free buoyancy aids – snorkelling vests and noodles
- Delicious BBQ Lunch with fresh salads (Most dietary and food allergy requirements catered for, please advise us upon booking)
- Fruit Platters while boarding. Tea & coffee is available all day while the boat is stationary. Water fountain to fill your water bottle
- A glass of wine, cheese & crackers on the return journey
- Assistance for non-confident swimmers from our friendly crew
- Stinger suits included with your trip during jellyfish season in the tropics
- Boomnetting – “The Wild Ride” (weather permitting)
- A complete family-friendly tour
- Reef tax, fuel levy & national park fees for visiting the Great Barrier Reef Marine Paare included in this trip cost
- Scuba diving for introductory divers and certified divers. Minimum age is 12, and medical conditions do apply – please see below
- Dive Guide for a guided tour around the reef. Scuba dive with a buddy or pay for a guided scuba dive with one of our fantastic crew. Travelling alone? The Compass Cruises team will happily organise a buddy for you on the day if you wish to dive without a guide.
- Glass Bottom Boat Tour (weather permitting)
- Wetsuit Hire (Great for flotation and warmth)
- Underwater Digital Camera Hire
- Snack Bar Purchases: Soft drinks, chocolate, chips, alcohol etc.
- Prescription Mask Hire if you require stronger lenses to see ( you can wear contact lenses in most circumstances )
- Bus transfers from accommodation to and from the Cairns Marina
What to bring
- Proof of qualification as a Certified Diver
- Cash or credit card for purchases
- Swimming Clothes, Towel, Hat, Sunglasses, Sun Cream
How to get there
Compass Cruises departs from
Cairns Marina: ‘Marlin Wharf berth 18’ View map to Cairns Marlin Marina
Boarding commences at 7:30 am for an approximate 8:00 am a departure, directly on the boat ‘Compass.’
Arrive back to Cairns Marina at approximately 5:30 pm
Where Can I Park?
Several parking stations throughout Cairns are in walking distance of the Marina. Click here to see where
Important Information for Scuba Diving
We have a passion for showing you Australia’s Great Barrier Reef, so please make sure you understand the scuba diving laws.
Queensland, Australia has some of the strictest scuba diving rules in the world but also the safest scuba diving record. The Queensland Government Code of Practice regulates us and comply with all regulations, including medical as is the law.
To avoid disappointment on your day of travel, we strongly recommend that all of our passengers complete our dive medical questionnaire before booking as some medical conditions, age, medications may prevent you from scuba diving. It is always our mission to provide our passengers with the very best Great Barrier Reef experience.
We are happy to help you with any questions you may have. Please Contact our office on 07 4037 2700 or email us
Or you may like to consult your Doctor for a Dive Medical using the Australian Standard Forms ‘AS.4005.1
Flying after Scuba Diving
For a single no-decompression scuba dive, you should not fly or go to altitude for at least 18 hours after a scuba dive. For multiple dives, you should not fly for 24 hours after your last dive.
If Skydiving or Hot Air Ballooning you must wait 24 hours after your dive.
We recommend waiting a minimum of 24 hours whenever possible